This started off as a ‘grab’ shot, taken for no particular reason as we wandered through the gardens of Sudeley Castle a few weeks ago. I just liked the colors of the Asters.
When I looked at the image on screen back home I realized how drab and tired the green background vegetation looked – typical of the way ‘greens’ tend to go in late summer – especially a dry one like we have had this year. Somehow that drabness sucked the color out of the Asters too. Dismal.
So, I took the derivative route: desaturated everything except Red and Magenta and boosted the saturation of those last two colors. A tweak to brightness and contrast, a tidy up of the odd stray red petal in the periphery of the image, final sharpening and that was it – job done.
Suddenly the color shone. Hope you like it.